Saturday, October 17, 2009

The good, the bad and the ugly

Over the years of ministering to orphans I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. Children with no hope, little or no medical care, limited education and always with a sense of not being of value to anyone. I have seen orphanages of toddlers who are so drugged up they can barely function because there is not enough staff to take care of these children. I have witnessed teen orphanages where the directors and staff are so afraid of the kids that they allow anything and everything to go on with no repercussion for offensive behavior. I have seen handicapped orphanages where the children are simply treated as animals. I have seen flea and rat infested orphanages. I have seen children with not enough adequate clothing or shoes to get them through the winter. I have witnessed elderly homes where the old folks are left to themselves and no one seems to care.
In all of this I am keenly aware of what God promises to the widow and orphan. He says specifically the He is Father to the fatherless and that He is the Husband to the widow. If they are that important to God they should be important to us.
In our work it is sometimes difficult to not be judgemental but it is absolutely necessary if we are to demonstrate God's love, not only to the abused, but to the abuser. We have been able to lead many of the directors of these places to the Lord. I have held directors, who were abusers, and watched as they repented and wept in my arms.
Love your family. Pray for them. Don't condemn but be the Christian that God has called you to be and yes, sometimes God just wants us to hold our tongue.
Yours in Christ,
Dr. John Shane

No comments:

Post a Comment